blessedchick

Thursday, November 03, 2005

What happens when we get older

I have work in rest homes for the passed 2 years. The first place I worked the residents were lovely and grateful for every thing you do for them. Some of the staff were a bit lazy and took advantage of me being such a hard worker, so I would have to 10 residents by myself while they would do 3. I loved that job, it was fulfilling and gave me a feeling of being useful.
I had to give the job up when I came became pregnant, because I was doing late shifts and pregnancy and morning sickness takes it's toll and I was unable to last the night without falling asleep. It was the hardest decision I had to make, but I was not coping and it was unfair to the residents.

So after a couple of weeks I was feeling a bit better and thought I would be able to do a short morning shift. I applied at a Christian rest home (I thought people would be more understanding).
At this home the residents were Christian and so were the staff, so here comes my confusion. The residents were the most demanding people I have ever met. Everything had to be a certain way and by a certain time, if you took to long to do something you got yelled at, if you did something a different way, you got criticised. I would have to say that the residents were horrible.

The staff.
Well if you thought the residents were bad, you should meet the staff. While you were working all you could here was "this wasn't done right, that wasn't done right, she's useless. Yes they were taking about me, and after you here that your useless a few times you start to believe it and your work starts to slip. The other thing was if you did something wrong, rather than telling you what you had done wrong, they just complained and moaned. How are you supposed to fix something when you don't know what you've done wrong.

After four months of working there. Throwing every morning I worked, pleading to my husband (in tears) to not make me go back there, I finally handed in my notice.

Yesterday I went back to my old job (where all the staff and residents are non-Christians)
And everyone was so nice to me. They helped me when I needed it, they taught me new things.
I finally felt as though I was good at my job again.

So is it a thing that all Christians are so prudish that when they get older they have tolerance for anyone or anything. Non-Christians who don't really live by any rules end up lovely and kind in there old age.

If this is true then how do we, as Christians change that?

3 Comments:

  • At 5:42 PM, Blogger Warwick Tomlinson said…

    I just want to go on the record by saying that i didn't like to make you go to work when you clearly didn't enjoy it but somehow the mortgage has to be paid and i'm grateful that you stuck it out as long as you did.

    Also isnt it great that God provides for us in such an amazing way.

    I'm so glad that you enjoy you old job and having it back.

    I like your blog, its very real in a world full of so much shallowness.

     
  • At 6:14 PM, Blogger Rayd said…

    And the thing with going and working in the christian rest home is you have raised two important things. Firstly you now realise how much you enjoyed your old work, the gratitute you recieved for your hard work, and how you are loved by the people you enjoy helping. and secondly you have raised that question of what can we do to change the way christians, who are supposed to set an example for the world to follow, act in their later years. To answer this i have to initially say that i too work in a rest home, non-christian, and many residents are christian and to be honest they are all lovely people. They enjoy my company and i theirs. So i think the main reason for the negativity in Archer is the atmosphere. It only takes one bad apple to ruin a fruitbowl. It may have started that one of the residents or staff were negative and the attitude caught on. And it would be so easy for you too to become negative there. Look at the Great kings in the bible, they served God but because their wives served other god's soon it became easy for those kings to also serve other gods.It's easy to be led astray when others around you are heading off the road. I don't personally thing that the Residents are horrible because they are christian. But it is something to think about.

     
  • At 6:14 PM, Blogger godsgirl said…

    Hey, it's Aliesha here. I believe that everything happens for a reason, even if it's just for God to teach us something. Whether its to teach you or for you to share so someone else is taught something, only God will know that. But I think the lesson here is that christians are not perfect. And while we are on this earth, we act quite similar. P.S maybe it takes God a little longer to change some people ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home