blessedchick

Monday, November 28, 2005

Small groups

Last Sunday night at church, little green forms were passed out asking what about night services bring you closer to God. To my complete surprise I couldn't answer it.
I thought worship, but to me there is to many stops and starts and sometimes its not long enough, that I can never get into it. So I sat and thought for a while and I couldn't think of anything. This made me quite sad, so I folded the green piece of paper and took it home and thought about it for a couple of days.

I couldn't understand how I felt closer to God at my old church, when this church suits me better, and then it hit me. Small groups I did all my growing in my ladies cell group. It was a place I could be me. A place where woman older and younger than me could come as they were to worship God, build each other up, and give advice on issues such as babies.
What a wonderful time.

At Opawa I find the services more fulfilling than I ever did at my old church, but it has shown me no matter how good the preacher is, without the support of a small group, It can be harder to grow spiritually.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:46 AM, Blogger If not for Christ said…

    I agree. Church is an important part of growth and yet 20 - 30 minutes after church on Sunday with 5 minute conversations with heaps of different people is not really going to continue and expand on that which God has been talking to you about during the service.

    A lot of growth does take place in cell groups - I wonder why? Is it because you have to be more actively involved than in a larger church setting? Is it because it is harder to hide when something is not going right?
    Maybe it is because in a smaller group each one feels more able to support and be supported by the others.

    I think growth occurs in both settings, but in different ways.

    Hmmm, an interesting question, I want to give it some more thought.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home